"To promote a safe and healthy community through collaborative partnerships committed to improving the health and wellness of all residents."
Administrative Services are provided by the Mid-Bergen Regional Health Commissions Health Officer, James Fedorko, at (201) 599-6290, ex. 4450, www.midbergen-regionalhealth.org.
Animal Bite Reports:
All animal bites involving dogs, cats, raccoons, bats, squirrels and other wildlife that can carry and possibly transmit rabies, must be reported to the Garfield Police Department at (973) 478-8500.
Environmental Health Complaints:
The Garfield Health Department Registered Environmental Health Specialist investigates public health related complaints, including heat, insects, rodents, and odors. Included are complaints about businesses, including food establishments, personal grooming shops, schools, child care facilities and public pools.
The Registered Environmental Health Specialist can be reached at (973) 340-2000 x4445, Monday through Friday between 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Health Promotion & Community Engagement
Comprehensive outreach programs are conducted each year to provide health screenings, education, and activities for the prevention of chronic disease and the promotion of a healthy livable community.
- Adult Health Consultation/ Blood Pressure Screening
For all residents 18 years of age and older
Tuesdays from 10:00 AM -12:00 PM
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
Free risk assessment and blood screening by appointment
For all children l year - 6 years old
To register call 201-634-2673
- Generations for Garfield, An Age-Friendly Community Initiative
For a list of healthy living programs, resources, and activities visit
- Substance Abuse Prevention
Garfield Prevention Coalition
For information contact email@example.com
Communicable Disease Case Management, Investigation & Reporting
New Jersey Law requires health care providers to report certain diseases to the local health department where the patient resides. This allows public health officials to conduct timely investigations and enact prevention and control measures quickly. For information on preventing communicable
disease visit www.nj.gov/health/cd
Lead Poisoning Information
Homeowners, Tenants, Landlords:
Know your Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Lead Hazards. For additional information contact the Health Department.
Business Licenses must be renewed on an annual basis by February 15th of each calendar year. Applications available under Online Forms.
WE ARE NOW ONLINE!
Click the link below to create an account and submit your paperwork and pay online!
Maintain records of Births, Marriages, Remarriages, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Deaths that have occurred in the City of Garfield and issue certified copies of these records when requested.
Accept the Application for Licenses (Marriage, Remarriage, Civil Union, Reaffirmation of Civil Union) and Domestic Partnerships from Garfield residents. Appointments are required please call 973-340-2000 ext. 5580. Applications available under Online Forms except for Domestic Partnerships which are available at 60 Elizabeth Street.
The State Department of Vital Statistics web site www.state.nj.us/health/vital
How to obtain a certified copy of Birth, Death, Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership:
- To order a certified copy in person or through the mail you must provide a completed application (Online Forms), valid proof of identity 1, payment of the fee 2, and proof that establishes you are:
- The subject of the record
- The subject's parent, legal guardian or legal representative
- The subject's spouse/civil union partner, domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age
- A state or federal agency for official purposes
- Pursuant to a court order
- A bank, title or insurance company requesting a copy of a death certificate for official business
- Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address or valid driver's license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address or two (2) alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address.
Alternate forms of ID are: vehicle registration, vehicle insurance card, voter registration, US/foreign passport, permanent resident card (green card), Immigrant Visa, Federal/State ID, county ID, school ID, utility bill (within the previous 90 days), bank statement (within previous 90 days) or W-2/tax return for current or previous year.
- The fee for a certified copy is $10.00. Payment can be made in the form of Cash (if applying in person), check, or money order made payable to City of Garfield.