City Clerk’s Office
Pursuant to NJSA 40A:9-133(e), the Core Duties of the City Clerk:
- Act as secretary to the municipal corporation and custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation. The governing body may, however, provide by ordinance that any other specific officer shall have custody of any specific other class of record;
- Act as secretary to the governing body, prepare meeting agendas at the discretion of the governing body, be present at all meetings of the governing body, keep a journal of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all ordinances and resolutions, and record the minutes of every meeting;
- Serve as the chief administrative office in all elections held in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
- Serve as the chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
- Serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other municipal officer;
- Serve as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title 47 of the Revised Statutes;
- Perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statute, regulation or by municipal ordinance or regulation.
“Garfield Mayor & Council Meetings” have been scheduled to air on Public Access Channels Oakland channel 76, Bergen channel 77, and Morris channel 21 on Wednesday at 3pm-6pm beginning October 7, 2020.
Dog & Cat Licensing
You can renew 1-year licenses every January.
|Neutered or Spayed Dog/Cat||$10.00|
|Non-Neutered or Non-Spayed Dog/Cat||$15.00|
|Renewed After Feb 1st (Late)||+$5.00|
|Renewed After Mar 1st (Late)||+$10.00|
Cash or Check Only
Send the City Clerk’s Office a copy of your rabies certificate, name, address and phone number along with a check for the appropriate amount and we will issue you a new license and return all of your paperwork in a timely manner.
Pet Licenses expire December 31 of the current year and must by renewed by January 31 of the next year.
Persons interested in conducting Garage Sales, Rummage Sales, Lawn Sales, Yard Sales, Estate Sales, or other similar sales on their property must first obtain a permit for such sale from the Office of the City Clerk, located on the second floor in City Hall, 111 Outwater Lane, Garfield.
|Garage Sale Permit||$10.00|
No person shall conduct a Garage Sale more than two (2) times in a calender year.
No location or address shall serve as a site of any Garage Sale more than two (2) times in a calender year.
Each Garage Sale Permit must be prominently displayed on the premises upon which the Garage Sale is conducted throughout the entire period of the sale.
The individual applying for a Garage Sale Permit shall provide the following information to the City Clerk's Office:
- The name, address and telephone number of the person or organization conducting the sale.
- The number of days (no more than three over a weekend starting on a Friday) and dates of the sale; (including any raindates).
- The dates of previous sales by the applicant and locations of previous sales by the applicant during the calendar year.
- An acknowledgement that NO SIGNS may be posted except on the applicant's property. Signs posted on public property will result in the issuance of a summons.
- A statement by the applicant confirming that the information provided is complete and known by the applicant to be true.
For further information, please contact the City Clerk's Office.